The State of the food
Foods generally have three states or stages. These states are called Sattavic,
Rajasic and Tamasic.
For example an apple when it is just ripe and plucked from the tree it will be in the Sattavic
state. When it lies on the counter or grocery shelf for a few days its state turns to Rajasic
and when it starts to get soft and brown it has entered the Tamasic stage.
- Eating fresh foods and in moderation is considered sattavic and helps to
preserve youth, such a person is alert, and in harmony with nature.
- Eating highly salty, oily, fast foods are considered rajasic. Eating your
meal quickly and under stress is also rajasic. The person consuming such
food loses the capacity to distinguish subtle stimuli and can be prone to disease.
- Food that is stale, overcooked, cooked eight hours earlier than consumption, liquor,
drugs and overeating are considered tamasic.. Tamasic foods robs the person
of the capacity to think clearly and disease and lethargy set in.
food energy through the bodys seven tissue layers
The seven tissue layers in the body in order are plasma,
muscle, fat, bone, nerves, marrow and reproductive tissues. Good cuisine and nutrition
will aid in the proper flow of energy through these channels.
food on the body is in the following 3 ways
1. We must eat according to the elemental structure (doshas) of
our body and food according to Ayurveda. Some have more of the earth and water element in
us, some of us have the air and ether element in us and some of us have the fire and heat
elements in us. We can use food to create balance in us so we mimic the universal balance
around us. Thus a person with a higher earth and water element can balance themselves with
foods that have more fire and air elements in them.
- Secondly the food itself has a potency or veerya and has either a cold or
hot effect on the body
- Thirdly the food has a personality or prabhav can also have a certain
action on the body like purgative or binding quality to it.